Re: v4.0: Deckbox Premium: Features Galore!

jassi007 wrote:

I'm not sure why for the most part deckbox marketplace sellers don't want to be competitive on prices, but they don't.

You can't guess why most deckbox marketplace sellers don't want to spend tons of time scraping pricing data from other sites in order to set their own prices?

I'll note that better pricing algorithms and analytics would be a perfect example of a useful premium feature.

NullParameter wrote:

I think this is definitely true, at least for myself.  It seems like the modus operandi here is generally to just drop bombs and they always seem to cause a big ruckus.  It would be nice to get some heads up, or even some say in the matter, rather than having this great tool change underneath us before we even know it is happening.

As others have said, the current price is FAR too steep; despite my reservations on the matter, even I'd probably be willing to drop $2/month or $20/year to help support things, and it seems like others would be too.  My guess would be that, if you dropped the price, you'd make up the difference in volume of subscriptions, and then some.

My Word! Drop the price and a lot of people will subscripe

I understand the need for money in order to pay employees and have oter resources for this site, but what you are offering is not something I am interested in paying for. That being said I do like the site and will continue to use it in the free fashion and am considering setting up a seller account.

AsymptomaticPyrexia wrote:

PucaTrade recently made some big changes involving international trades. They are reserving international trading for Uncommon and Rare tier members only. The difference is that they raised the conversation in a podcast, received lots of feedback from their users, and then they sent out a mass email letting everyone know ahead of time when the changes will take place. This allowed their users to make whatever preparations they needed to make for a smoother transition.

Under email notifications, I've always had the box next to "I want to receive Deckbox newsletters" checked. I've been using Deckbox for years and have never received a single email regarding Deckbox updates or changes. I think this may be one of the things that users would appreciate. A little warning could go a long way.

I appreciate that and you are completely right. I applaud PucaTrade for their efforts too. But please take a look at their about page: https://pucatrade.com/about

I am a single guy operating a website that covers perhaps half of the number of trades that they do, with many more features, free for all users, and I don't even have an income for myself. They have 9 employees.

I just cannot do what they do, humanly I cannot do the work of 9 people.

Noone expect you to do the work of 10 guys.

And that wasn't AsymptomaticPyrexias intention - He said, that maybe it's a good idea to go to your community tell them your ideas and get their feedback beforehand!

I don't know how long you worked to get those new features rolling - maybe three to four months? There was time to make a newsletter or a forumpost of your thoughts you are going to do - thats about 10 minutes work or so.
Maybe the community would lead you to a better solution, maybe not - but you would have them informed, that something will need to change or deckbox will be gone. And that would be a smart move to do so.

Now you are stuck here with the premium service for 7$ a month. Sure, for a couple of guys those 7$/7€ won't hurt (btw. do you $ guys  pay fees on top of those 7$ ?) but for the most of us it's the question of netflix/hula even a draft of about 3-4 hours.

And again, it was your choice to implement those features - not the community ones cause you didn't asked the community. An API for deckbox was a long wish, you wanted to make money out of it and make an app on your own.

9700377 wrote:
jassi007 wrote:

I'm not sure why for the most part deckbox marketplace sellers don't want to be competitive on prices, but they don't.

You can't guess why most deckbox marketplace sellers don't want to spend tons of time scraping pricing data from other sites in order to set their own prices?

I'll note that better pricing algorithms and analytics would be a perfect example of a useful premium feature.

I understand what you are saying, even in your wonderfully snarky way. However, the point remains, if you put a card up for sale, and want to sell it, your price has to be within the market value. If it isn't. you aren't going to see many sales.

Hi,

I have rarely posted here, but I feel a need to post.  I am a business owner.  I have owned many businesses over the last twenty years.  The first thing any business needs to remember before doing anything, is that the business they "run" is owned by the users of the business.  If the users are not willing to pay $20 for a new DVD, they wont, no matter how hard you push it and say it is better than a cd, and you will go out of business.  This is currently the big issue blue ray is having in the market place, hence why blue ray movies are coming back to nearly the same as their DVD counterpart.  It is especially more important in an online business.  You can choose to set a price point that might get you one person in one hundred take up the offer.  Or had you talked to your community about options your community would have spoken back.  They would have given suggestions, you could have collated the suggestions and then acted on the most accepted suggestion.  You did none of this, this is poor business management.  Honestly, right now the reaction that your community is screaming at you, not asking, is your price is way too high.  Any good business person listens very carefully to their community.  Walmart do not put any item in their store without first asking people if they will buy it.  If they won't it does not go into their stores.  I know you have already put the cart in front of the horse by not allowing community input, but right now you need to try and get that cart back behind the horse.  The only way I see this is 1.  remove all costs (temporarily) 2. speak and ask your community of their thoughts.  3. given a small amount of time collating the information from step 2, then offer a vote on the top 3 - 5 options talked about.  Do not think at this point you get to choose the most expensive or best for you. 4.  once you have your votes in set a date to implement it and give notice. No sudden surprises.  5. Watch more money roll in than you would get any other way.  Sometimes les means more.  Hypotetical, if you offer the premium at $10/year and lets say every member takes it up that is $770,000 per year.  Or if you offer it at $84/year (current option) and 1 in 100 takes it up then you only get $65,000 per year.  I know not every person is going to take it up, but this just shows how less can be more.

We all love this site, we all want this site to go on, we all want you to get paid for your services.

Just my thoughts, from a very successful business person.  BTW I have learnt this lesson before in one of my first businesses, so I have real world experience.

sebi wrote:
AsymptomaticPyrexia wrote:

PucaTrade recently made some big changes involving international trades. They are reserving international trading for Uncommon and Rare tier members only. The difference is that they raised the conversation in a podcast, received lots of feedback from their users, and then they sent out a mass email letting everyone know ahead of time when the changes will take place. This allowed their users to make whatever preparations they needed to make for a smoother transition.

Under email notifications, I've always had the box next to "I want to receive Deckbox newsletters" checked. I've been using Deckbox for years and have never received a single email regarding Deckbox updates or changes. I think this may be one of the things that users would appreciate. A little warning could go a long way.

I appreciate that and you are completely right. I applaud PucaTrade for their efforts too. But please take a look at their about page: https://pucatrade.com/about

I am a single guy operating a website that covers perhaps half of the number of trades that they do, with many more features, free for all users, and I don't even have an income for myself. They have 9 employees.

I just cannot do what they do, humanly I cannot do the work of 9 people.

For what it's worth PucaTrade is a great site, but I really prefer trading on Deckbox most of the time.   They are both great sites, and I use both of them, but I spend a lot more time on Deckbox even with your team of one, and it feels more like a community to me.  I was also on PucaTrade before they did their indiegogo or kickstarter or w/e it was to raise funds, and their site was really a lot more low budget/scaled down then than what it is now.   I don't think their premium features are worth $5 either, but I've paid it a few times when I needed to send someone points, but I also always cancel it before the next month.  I really think there's a sticker shock there when the site costs more than a booster pack in Wal-Mart.   If your premium was  $10-15 a year and also had some cool new features, I would consider it a lot more reasonable.

As a frequent user and supporter, I have spent time providing feedback on the site and I have enjoyed quick responses and even quick bug fixes. But recently I feel that my feedback has not received any attention - so I stopped giving feedback. That being said, here's some now: wink

As a seller, I feel that selling desperately needs improvements... and none have been made in months!

• What is the state of the Deckbox pricing algorithm?

• I would likely pay for Premium if it allowed me to set dynamic prices.

• I can't set static prices based on a filter. [https://deckbox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=22334]

• I can't enforce a minimum order size (# cards or $). [https://deckbox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=22333]

• I can't automatically apply a discount. [https://deckbox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=22333]

• I can't set it to require my approval before an order goes through.

• I can't enforce a rule for buyers to choose certain shipping options, i.e. forcing them to pay for tracking under certain conditions.

• I can't give feedback on buyers so we can weed out the bad ones as a community.

• It's hard to fill large orders since I can't sort the card list (my cards are not sorted as one giant alphabetical list (same goes for filling trades).

• It's really difficult to determine if the buyer has left feedback or not.

• I can't see the tracking # I gave the buyer.

• Shipping options gets difficult to maintain the more you have.

• Since you haven't improved the Marketplace or asked your community what you can do to fix it, it seems like it's dead/dying.

On building the Deckbox brand...

• Another idea for making money: sell Deckbox-branded merchandise, e.g. t-shirts, sleeves, playmats, DECKBOXES, scorepads, pens. Maybe only the strongest supporters will buy it, but it will also help get the Deckbox name out there to players at LGSs and kitchen tables.

• Give some sort of bonuses for building up user scores. People love "leveling-up"! This could mean free Premium, exclusive subforums, etc.

• Communicate better. You don't have the time, so get volunteers to do this for you. Send out the missing newsletter and have a presence on Facebook and the like - especially Reddit!

• Another idea for making money: sell Deckbox-branded merchandise, e.g. t-shirts, sleeves, playmats, DECKBOXES, scorepads, pens. Maybe only the strongest supporters will buy it, but it will also help get the Deckbox name out there to players at LGSs and kitchen tables.

• Give some sort of bonuses for building up user scores. People love "leveling-up"! This could mean free Premium, exclusive subforums, etc.

• Communicate better. You don't have the time, so get volunteers to do this for you. Send out the missing newsletter and have a presence on Facebook and the like - especially Reddit!

I'd buy some deckbox sleeves, box and dice. smile

These kinds of things can be filled on demand to as long as the customer understands the lead time.

I would totally buy into premium if A) it cost a little less, and B) let me "level up" to some benefit.  Maybe, you could get "free" merchandice by making sells/purchases through deck box like game stop does with their power up rewards.  Come to think of it... they give you a full magazine and access to lots of discounts for only $10-$15 a month.

I know i know you're only one guy, but other businesses have set a precedent for what's expected from premium memberships. Right now the offerings are not up to par so people aren't sure what to do.

elpablo wrote:

I'd buy some deckbox sleeves, box and dice. smile

These kinds of things can be filled on demand to as long as the customer understands the lead time.

I would totally buy into premium if A) it cost a little less, and B) let me "level up" to some benefit.  Maybe, you could get "free" merchandice by making sells/purchases through deck box like game stop does with their power up rewards.  Come to think of it... they give you a full magazine and access to lots of discounts for only $10-$15 a month.

I know i know you're only one guy, but other businesses have set a precedent for what's expected from premium memberships. Right now the offerings are not up to par so people aren't sure what to do.

Maybe this has changed, but to get custom sleeves is one of the reasons that PucaTrade had to do a kickstarter type project.  At the time they had to order a pretty large quantity in order to get their brand on them.

Chessex will make custom dice.

Last edited by gumgodMTG (2014-12-16 14:06:35)

sebi wrote:

Some users are using it, and I intend to make things better there too, don't get me wrong.

It is just that those sites you mentioned have already a number of users many orders of magnitude more than deckbox.

Even deckbox users that seem to like it here still do shop on tcgplayer and other places, and not here. I am not sure why... I suppose it also takes time for it to gain some footing...

Sebi i hope you dont get discouraged by all of this feedback. However i must say that you baffle me sometimes. This will be my 4th post on this issue with no reply from you at all. This is why I havent used deckbox to purchase cards. This answers your question above in my case. The marketplace isnt working for my needs.

https://deckbox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=24043

If you can fix the issues with the marketplace, i would gladly buy here instead of ebay and tcg like i have been doing.

sebi wrote:

Even deckbox users that seem to like it here still do shop on tcgplayer and other places, and not here. I am not sure why... I suppose it also takes time for it to gain some footing...

The answer to this question for me is simply the Mass Card Entry and Cart Optimizer options that TCG offers. I would love to devote 100% of my Magic budget to Deckbox, but buying a decent number of cards (10+) is simply much, much easier and faster on TCG.

And in reference to the posts above mine, I would absolutely buy Deckbox deckboxes, sleeves (if good quality, see: DragonShield, KMC), and for sure a t-shirt. smile

Last edited by Kammikaze (2014-12-16 14:31:16)

Right now "Public and private notes for each card" is per unique card in a deck, as opposed to per card in my inventory, which is what I was hoping for. Will this change when the tagging system is implemented? Also, any idea when Premium users will see the tagging system? I know you may not be able to provide a date, but is it close? i.e. Deckbox 4.1 or Deckbox 5.0?

If the cost of premium remains what it is, I would love another way to support the site like this merch.  I would definitely buy "Deckbox" deckboxes or supplies.  I really want to support this site as I find it great.

I just want to add my voice to those saying - I'd gladly throw a couple of bucks a month or a token $10-20 /year to support this site. I've used it for ages and recommend it to loads of people. But I wouldn't stretch as far as $7/month.

I might have been pushed higher if you had not broken compatibility with the iOS app. That was the main thing I used. Constantly trading in person, I could check quickly what I had.

Or if you had supplied an API so that I or anyone else could play around with the huge amount of data and come up with cool stuff (or just allowed the iOS app to be fixed).

This site is great and has been a really useful tool for me, but $7/month is just too steep a price point for what is being offered at premium. I struggle to think what would have to be added to push that price point to be justified too sad.

Like manjick said earlier, it would be worthwhile exploring different price points. Having 5K people paying $20/year might be better than 500 paying $7/month.

jassi007 wrote:
9700377 wrote:
jassi007 wrote:

I understand what you are saying, even in your wonderfully snarky way. However, the point remains, if you put a card up for sale, and want to sell it, your price has to be within the market value. If it isn't. you aren't going to see many sales.

I accept this. However, your original point was that "we don't want to be competitive." We do. It's just costly, and if pegging to Deckbox's algorithm doesn't make us competitive than this is something that Deckbox should be working on. If Sebi wanted to jack marketplace sales he could just lower the Deckbox price on all the cards, although sellers might end up happy if this does lead to pricing that's substantially below what sellers would like or have come to expect.

I'll also note that one risk for sellers on Deckbox is that people are very savvy at blowing you out if any of your prices are slightly-behind a price spike or if some class of cards is cheaper on Deckbox for some reason that other sites (iirc shocklands used to be unusually cheap here.) This leads me to slightly-bias my prices more on the high side than I would have otherwise. I wish I had the ability to unconditionally cancel an order within 24h of its being made... I guess I could try to outline that on my profile page as a policy, but I could see people being unhappy with it.

One thing I've noticed is that I used to make lots of sales on here but recently I haven't made any. I haven't changed my pricing strategy. Am I to blame? Is the marketplace more competitive (eg. it's attracted outlets like adventuresON)? Or are prices just too high? I don't know. My comparative advantage isn't to know. I came to this site to trade and selling is just a neat value-add but not something I want to devote tons of energy towards. If marketplace sales are falling across the board (are they?) than perhaps this is a site issue.

Last edited by 9700377 (2014-12-16 18:07:44)

I'm amazed everyone is flipping out about this...

No one is making you pay.  I'm happy I'm getting an option to support the site without selling, especially since I'm getting a bunch of features I've wanted forever.  I've been debating becoming a seller over here too and the changes might be enough to make me drop my level 4 TCGplayer account.

Huge thanks for the following features:
- Separation of built decks and deck ideas
- Auto-trading of cards not in decks
- Adjusting number of cards per page
- Scratchpad section

Thank you to Sebi, your site is amazing and keep up the good work. I'm really looking forward to a mobile app to make adjusting things on my phone or tablet easy and I'm hoping throwing a little more cash your way makes it possible!

I do think you'd be better off if you made things slightly cheaper, but for me these features make it totally worth it.

Deckbox needs and deserves our financial support. Please try out the new features for the free 7 day trial period and if you do not feel the features are worth what they are asking give some constructive feedback. It's already an amazing place to trade even if you don't pay for extra features so jumping ship does no one any good.

Having looked at the Edition Checklist section in more detail, this is going to save many hours over winter break when I finally intend to enter my complete sets.  For me, this alone is worth the upgrade to Premium.

A mobile app sounds really exciting. I too think a one-time purchase for $4.99 would fatten your wallet. I would also buy up some Deckbox merch. As for the current pricing of Premium, I can't afford it.

9700377 wrote:
jassi007 wrote:
9700377 wrote:

I accept this. However, your original point was that "we don't want to be competitive." We do. It's just costly, and if pegging to Deckbox's algorithm doesn't make us competitive than this is something that Deckbox should be working on. If Sebi wanted to jack marketplace sales he could just lower the Deckbox price on all the cards, although sellers might end up happy if this does lead to pricing that's substantially below what sellers would like or have come to expect.

I'll also note that one risk for sellers on Deckbox is that people are very savvy at blowing you out if any of your prices are slightly-behind a price spike or if some class of cards is cheaper on Deckbox for some reason that other sites (iirc shocklands used to be unusually cheap here.) This leads me to slightly-bias my prices more on the high side than I would have otherwise. I wish I had the ability to unconditionally cancel an order within 24h of its being made... I guess I could try to outline that on my profile page as a policy, but I could see people being unhappy with it.

One thing I've noticed is that I used to make lots of sales on here but recently I haven't made any. I haven't changed my pricing strategy. Am I to blame? Is the marketplace more competitive (eg. it's attracted outlets like adventuresON)? Or are prices just too high? I don't know. My comparative advantage isn't to know. I came to this site to trade and selling is just a neat value-add but not something I want to devote tons of energy towards. If marketplace sales are falling across the board (are they?) than perhaps this is a site issue.

Every Seller probably has a unique situation. To answer the question as to why my prices may not be competitive here I'll give you some insight to my situation. I already sell cards through the following online market places:

eBay
TCGPlayer
Amazon
Deckbox
Occasionally FB groups and pojo

In addition I work a full time 9-5 job. In order to stay competitive prices can change on a daily basis. It's not humanly possible for me to update prices on all of these platforms that frequently.

My suggestion as a temporary solution would be although Deckbox no longer allows sales outside of their marketplace system that doesn't stop you from contacting the seller directly to negotiate prices and have them update their price in the marketplace to something competitive. A more permanent solution would be for Deckbox to implement a "Best Offer" option for purchases. Similar to what eBay does so that buyers and sellers can renegotiate prices.

Last edited by nirvana1987 (2014-12-16 19:36:51)

nirvana1987 wrote:
9700377 wrote:
jassi007 wrote:

Every Seller probably has a unique situation. To answer the question as to why my prices may not be competitive here I'll give you some insight to my situation. I already sell cards through the following online market places:

eBay
TCGPlayer
Amazon
Deckbox

In addition I work a full time 9-5 job. In order to stay competitive prices can change on a daily basis. It's not humanly possible for me to update prices on all of these platforms that frequently.

My suggestion as a temporary solution would be although Deckbox no longer allows sales outside of their marketplace system that doesn't stop you from contacting the seller directly to negotiate prices and have them update their price in the marketplace to something competitive. A more permanent solution would be for Deckbox to implement a "Best Offer" option for purchases. Similar to what eBay does so that buyers and sellers can renegotiate prices.

You can already basically do this, actually. A buyer can make a proposed order and then ask for a discount to make it "competitive", and the seller can apply that discount. Maybe some people don't know about this feature, though.

What you suggest touches on one idea that I found cool before, though... that users should be able to specify buy prices for cards on their wishlist similar to how you can have sell prices for cards on your tradelist, and then sellers would be able to reach out to buyers directly.

9700377 wrote:
nirvana1987 wrote:
9700377 wrote:

eBay
TCGPlayer
Amazon
Deckbox

You can already basically do this, actually. A buyer can make a proposed order and then ask for a discount to make it "competitive", and the seller can apply that discount. Maybe some people don't know about this feature, though.

What you suggest touches on one idea that I found cool before, though... that users should be able to specify buy prices for cards on their wishlist similar to how you can have sell prices for cards on your tradelist, and then sellers would be able to reach out to buyers directly.

I would use the shit out of that feature. I would love to list a buy price, and let someone propose a sale to me. I'd pay for premium for that type of feature.

Last edited by jassi007 (2014-12-16 20:18:01)

jassi007 wrote:
9700377 wrote:
nirvana1987 wrote:

eBay
TCGPlayer
Amazon
Deckbox

I would use the shit out of that feature. I would love to list a buy price, and let someone propose a sale to me. I'd pay for premium for that type of feature.

It would be nice. I'd also add that afaik no other site with nearly as many users has a feature like this. Pucatrade fixes the prices that cards are traded at. It'd be like letting users specify their own buylists, which I don't know is something that currently exists at any site.